Lifting heavy weights builds muscles, it also creates inflammation. Over time, inflammation reduces muscle efficiency and strength. Our Muscle & Joint Repair Formula will help combat inflammation so you can stay in peak training form.
Burn & Build Body Lifestyle
Savory Pumpkin-Sage Protein Muffins
Emma, our resident food blogger invited us to turn her blog recipe into a Burn & Build Body version that incorporated vanilla cream flavored Protein Lean Power Food. We think her remarks about her original recipe – be sure and see it on our blog – apply to this one too!
"Sweet or savory - these muffins are divine, rich, moist and healthy!
You would have no idea that this recipe is gluten-free and vegan. Serve this
alongside a protein entree or savor it for dessert. The apples and
onions give this a faux-buttery and unexpected surprise."
– Emma Frisch , Cayunga St. Kitchen
Yields: 2 loaves or 24 muffins
Preparation time: About 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes for muffins / 60 minutes for bread
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or other vegetable oil
- 2 heaping cups diced apples
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced and bruised sage (crush with your fingers to release the flavors)
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup Protein Lean Power Food
- 2 cups coconut crystals
- 2 tablespoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon molasses
How To make them
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (F)
- Dab a paper towel with vegetable oil and grease your bread or muffin tins
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Add the sage to the saucepan and sauté until it just begins to brown
- Add onions to the saucepan and sauté until they brown
- Add the apples and sauté for about 5 minutes, until they also lightly brown - do not cook until they become tender!
- Remove the onion and apple mixture from the stovetop and transfer to a bowl. Set aside
- Put the flour, Protein Lean Power Food, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices in an extra large bowl
- Stir the ingredients together thoroughly with a fork
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, almond milk, coconut oil and molasses
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and stir together thoroughly
- Add the onion and apple mixture
- Combine the mixture
- Fill your muffin or bread tins about 1 centimeter from the top
If baking muffins, bake for about 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
If baking bread, bake for about 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
Emma Frisch shares her joyful love of fresh, whole foods on her Cayunga St Kitchen blog.